Veganuary is here so we want to give the BM Babes who are taking part a few meal inspo ideas to make their vegan month as easy as poss! We’re covering breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner in this healthy Veganuary Food Diary. Whether you’re trying it out for January or are a vegan babe for life, these yummy, filling and healthy meals are worth a try!
Trying out vegan makeup for Veganuary? Don't forget the Barry M product range is currently 98% Vegan and promises to be 100% vegan by this summer *yay!
Breakfast: The Best Vegan Porridge
We're getting started with a healthy vegan breakfast for fullness ALL morning. Porridge may seem boring, but these yummy toppings make it all the fun!
- 50g/1¾ oz porridge oats
- 250ml/ 9fl oz almond milk/oat milk/soya milk
- Peanut butter, banana, agave syrup, berries, chia seeds to top!
- To make the simple vegan porridge, put the oats and milk in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook gently over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Let porridge get to the desired thickness. You can always add more milk to thin the porridge, if you like.
- Serve in a bowl and add whatever vegan toppings you like! Peanut butter, banana, berries, chia seeds and agave syrup are always yummy!
Lunch: The Ultimate Vegan Sandwich
Struggling to think of that vegan work lunch? We got you covered! This ultimate sandwich is packed with flavour for a lunch packed with punch!
- Large roll/baguette
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 150g shredded veggies (i.e. carrot, lettuce, cabbage and red onion)
- Dash of oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar
- 175g grilled tempeh/ tofu
- Chilli sauce – (vegan of your choice)
- Put the shredded veg in a bowl and add a dash of vinegar, oil, salt, sugar and pepper. Toss everything together, then set aside to pickle quickly while you prepare the rest of the sandwich.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place the baguette or roll in the oven for 5 minutes until lightly toasted and warm.
- Cut the baguette/roll in two halves to fill your sandwich.
- Spread each piece with a layer of hummus, then top four pieces with the tempeh slices and pile the pickled veg on top. To serve, squeeze over some chilli sauce, then top with the other baguette/roll piece!
Snack Time: Rice Cakes; Sweet or Savoury?
Who isn't obsessed with snacks? These tasty rice cakes topped either savoury or sweet are perfect for that mid-afternoon hunger!
- Rice cakes
- Vegan chocolate spread and berries
- Avocado and tomato
- Lay your rice cakes on a flat surface ready to prep for toppings.
- For the sweet toppings, spread a vegan chocolate spread over the rice cake and top with berries such as raspberries or strawberries.
- For the savoury option, thinly slice some avocado and lay over the rice cake. Top with diced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper!
Recipe from: http://laurencariscooks.com/healthy-ricecake-snacks/
Dinner: Yummy Sweet Potato and Coconut Curry
Warm up your January evening the veganuary way with this spicy curry, we're loving the flavours packed into this!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Ginger root, thumb sized
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 red chilli
- 2 red peppers
- 250g red cabbage, shredded
- 1 kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 300g passata
- 400ml coconut milk
- Get started by heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion. Fry gently for 10 mins until soft then add the garlic and grate the ginger straight into the pan. Stir in the paprika and the cayenne and cook for another minute then tip into a slow cooker or large pan on a low heat.
- Return the pan to the heat and add another 1 tbsp oil along with the chilli, red pepper and shredded cabbage. Cook for 4-5 mins then tip into the slow cooker/ large pan.
- Use the remaining oil to fry the sweet potatoes, you may have to do this in 2 or 3 batches depending on the size of your pan. Cook the sweet potatoes for around 5 mins or just until they start to pick up some colour at the edges then put them in the slow cooker/large pan too.
- Pour the passata and the coconut milk over the sweet potatoes, stir to mix everything together and cover the slow cooker/large pan with a lid and cook for 6-8hrs (slow cooker), 1-2hrs (large pan on hob) or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve with couscous or rice and chopped coriander scattered over the top.